In January, 1948, the Reverend Roger E. Youngquist, pastor at First Baptist Church, Alexandria gathered a small group of Christians in Glenwood for a home bible study and prayer meeting. By May of that year, it was found that there were a considerable number of people interested in starting a Baptist church in Glenwood. On May 16, 1948, in the rented old township hall, the first service of Baptist Chapel was held.
In May 1950, Mr. Henry Nelson became the first full time pastor. Under his leadership, and the devotion of 15 charter members, First Baptist Church Glenwood was founded. In 1951, land was purchased to build a church, including a pastor's apartment. The groundbreaking was in 1954, and the first service in the new building was on Easter Sunday, 1955.
The parsonage next door was purchased in 1961, and the following year the apartment was converted to Sunday school rooms and an overflow for the growing congregation. A library and nursery were also added.
In 1984, the AWANA program began at First Baptist Church, and prompted the addition of an expanded basement fellowship area and a new kitchen. The current building was completed in 1991, with a new sanctuary, offices, and Sunday school rooms.
Over the years, First Baptist Church has been active in missions, children's ministries, and discipleship. From our humble beginnings as a home study group until present, with support to multiple missions, men's and women's weekly bible study groups and over 30 years of AWANA, we thank God for His blessings.